Sunday, May 16, 2010

TEFS REVIEW: ROBIN HOOD (JUAN'S TAKE)


Director: Ridley Scott:

Starring: Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Max Von Sydow, Mark Strong, et al.

I love this movie. I truly and honestly had a super awesome time at the movie theater this past friday when I went to watch this, for all intents and purposes, prequel story to one of the most popular characters of the past century. And herein lies the reason why many people will not like the movie.

This is not the Robin Hood you know and love. Forget about the "Adventures of Robin Hood", forget about the Disney iteration of the character. That's not the story Mr. Ridley Scott wants to share with you. This is the telling of the harsh, backstabbing, politically charged and war torn times of England in the 12th century. This is the story of how a common archer, one of many soldiers in King Richard Lionheart's army, comes into his own. This is the story of how one man's promise and commitment to his inner word leads him to become a better version of himself. This story is about a man finding and connecting to his purpose and himself while inspiring others to rise to the occasion and be self-sufficient, fully functional and noble human beings.

This is admirable and it's a message not many movies portray nowadays, especially the ones in the summer movie season.

Remember in my Iron Man 2 review how I mentioned I didn't like to check my brain in at the door when I watch a summer blockbuster? Well, this work of art is proof that there are people out there with the intent to engage their audience in smart, plot-driven stories. To me, everything here just clicks, like well oiled cogs in a machine. The cinematography is beautiful and fits the period, the production design is exquisite and the attention to detail and costuming is a thing of beauty. The performances are believable, soulful, funny and honest. Everyone has a clear motive and they veritably change. The editing is well paced and moves the story along smoothly and the directing is solid, tempered where in needs to be and frantic when it is required.

This movie works and believe me, you need to pay attention to get the most out of this flick. If you want a visual smorgasbord of fast cuts, incomprehensible camera placements, loud, overly kinetic and detached editing... walk away from this movie.

If you want to be riveted, treated like a smart audience member and enjoy a combination of elements helmed by a master filmmaker, run, don't walk to your nearest theater and support this movie. I payed a full price admission and I demand to be treated like an adult audience member. Mr. Scott, I thank you for respecting your audience and gifting me with what is now, along with the fabulous "How to Train your Dragon", my favorite movie of the year so far.

Watch this movie.

Discuss here

No comments:

Post a Comment