Thursday, October 7, 2010

TEFB TRAILERS: 127 HOURS

I've been a fan of Danny Boyle ever since his 1996 film Trainspotting blew my 15 year old mind into the gutter of independent filmmaking and increased my interest in film ten-fold. I owe the deep interest I have in film today to Trainspotting (it was the first time I had gone to an independent theater near me called The Spectrum, and I also attended a question/answer session after the film, another), and although the director hasn't quite hit such a home run since, he is without a doubt still one of the most interesting filmmakers working today. While all of his films may not be instantly memorable, I've come to deeply respect each of them in their own ways. I recently purchased his stab at science-fiction called Sunshine which, after I first viewed it in 2007, left me extremely disappointed. Watching it for a second time on Blu-ray, I came to really appreciate and actually kind of love it (the first two-thirds of it, anyway). Sometimes the great films don't stick with you right away. Danny Boyle's films, more often than not, take some time to stick.

127 Hours, his new film, tells the true story of Aaron Ralston - daredevil and adventurer extraordinaire. In 2003, Aaron's arm became trapped under a boulder, and he spent five days severing his arm in order to escape. A teaser for the film was released back in August. Now, Apple Trailers has the full-length trailer.

James Franco plays Ralston, and the trailer really puts emphasis on his performance - and I'm not talking just with quotes like "one of the all-time great performances." Franco's long been a great actor, and it's great to see him headlining this film that seems to be, for the most part, a one man show.

Boyle has traversed man vs. wild before, with his 2000 film The Beach. He's also a master of making beautifully hopeful films out of characters in hopeless situations (28 Days Later, Sunshine, Slumdog Millionaire).

Check out the trailer for 127 Hours here.

No comments:

Post a Comment